In the big data era, every company is on the lookout to embrace big data and analytics application to attain a competitive edge in the marketplace. On the other hand, big data and analytics models are creating a unique, new role for Chief Information Officers that are going to contribute directly to company’s success by supporting quick innovation and technology. A mélange of adequate big data IQ and certified professionals can help companies reaping benefits from the technology.
But since the inception of big data and analytics, it has been challenging for CIOs to manage and handle data deluge. There’ no denying that every employee in the organization understands the value of IT department and believes that IT can solve every data related issues. But what should a CIO do to understand massive datasets in the big data era? Other than big data IQ, there is a lot more than CIOs should know. In order to handle big data and analytics, here’s how CIOs can work on the basis of a series of following 7 phases to guide the IT department-
- DATA DELUGE? SURPRISE! – This is the phase when IT department realizes the amount of data that is going to flow in and out continuously and how enhancing big data IQ has become important for them. The challenges that come with myriad opportunities are also realized by the department.
- DATA VAULT- This is the phase when IT departments starts working on the stored data. Systems and processes are then set up to store and secure data. This data is further leveraged by the groups and departments in the need of it.
- Q&A- In this stage, IT departments’ process data for the first time. This is the time when they start asking queries about the past events. Being a manual process, it revolves around the production of custom reports on the basis of requests that come to the IT department. When big data IQ and right algorithms work in tandem everything else falls into place.
- INTELLIGENCE- When the role of executive dashboards comes into play, this phase gets recognized. With the automation of reporting, presentation of data is slowly improving.
- FUTURE PREDICTIONS? CHECK. – This is the stage when IT departments start helping the organization in anticipating and predicting the operating conditions. They are able to do it after the effective use of statistical algorithms and models on the data which is later transformed into actionable insights.
- USAGE- In the big data era, the insights and final data coming out from IT departments is not confined to reports. The information is now used for company’s every day operations.
- TRANSFORMATION- This is the final stage when the company uses insights and data to integrate into the business models. And this is when the companies see the transformation of being a company to a data-driven company by reaping myriad benefits from the big data technology and numerous applications that it offers.
At present, every IT department faces these 7 phases while making strategies to manage and handle data. In order to work in tandem with big data era and technological upgrades, every CIO must implement big data models into their organization in order to progress and transform!